Antifungal treatment and protection for your home
It can be difficult finding the time to give your house a thorough clean on a regular basis, leaving mould and fungi free to flourish – fortunately there are a number of things you can do to treat your home.
It isn’t always easy balancing life in the office with all the household chores and tasks – it’s bound to get on top of everyone at some point in their lives. Unfortunately, a lack of extreme cleaning in all areas of the home on at least a bi-weekly basis leaves various forms of mould and fungi free to sprout and thrive in the untreated conditions. These unwanted growths can have damaging effects on the health, causing nasal and sinus congestion, headaches, nausea, skin irritation, asthma attacks and in the long term more serious respiratory and lung difficulties. And it’s pets, younger children and pregnant women who are the most vulnerable – so it’s best to get mould and fungus in the home treated fast.
If you’re unsure whether you do have mould or fungi growing in your home, have a quick inspection and try to look out for the most telling signs. This could be peeling or flaky paintwork, discoloured material or stains on furnishings and wooden items, as well as musky and unidentifiable smells that linger around the home. Air fresheners or neutralisers only provide temporary respite from those unpleasant odours and don’t do much to help ventilate the musty air that gathers in a room. Alternatively there a number of homemade options or commercial products you can choose from to help go about treating that irritating spot of mould and if the situation really gets out of hand, you can always enquire about having your home professionally cleaned.
Mould and fungi removal
- Once mould has latched onto any paper products it is impossible to completely remove, so all contaminated items such as newspapers, magazines, catalogues or cardboard boxes should be put out with the rubbish immediately.
- Mould or fungus found on household items such as clothes, blankets, sheets or even plates and glasses should be treated in an outdoor environment if possible, to prevent the germs from spreading anywhere else in the home. Mould can often be removed from fabrics through prolonged exposure to sunlight but as this is rather unlikely here in the UK. Using lemon or vinegar solutions with intense scrubbing and/or sanding after an hour outside may prove more effective, as the acidic mixture should wipe out most of the fungi.
- Infected carpets and walls can be a little more tricky to treat without professional help. Fibres and loose strands of material in carpets and rugs latch onto the mould and dirt and allows it to grow quickly; scrubbing the area using a soap and water or chlorine bleach solution may get the job done but doesn’t usually guarantee success. A professional carpet shampoo, on the other hand, may cost a little more but will leave your floors fungus-free and clean and dry in no time.
- Although small amounts of black mould can be scrubbed off walls at home, an onset of damp unfortunately requires more work than a regular household cleaner is capable of. In many cases the wall can be professionally treated with special chemicals both inside and out to get rid of the fungi but in more extreme cases the entire wall may have to be replaced. It sounds expensive and time consuming, but will definitely be worth it in the long run.
Mould and fungi prevention
- Mould and fungi thrive in areas of high humidity and poor ventilation, so using air humidifiers (or dehumidifiers) to help reduce the airborne moisture in your home makes mould less likely to find suitable conditions in which to grow.
- Good ventilation in your home will help keep it mould and fungus free. Open windows, check vents aren’t blocked and consider using electric fans to create the right amount of ventilation.
- Although you should never simply paint over mould – as it will continually grow underneath – you can now purchase specially designed paints when refurbishing your home that contain mould preventive additives. This keeps your walls dry and free of infection.
- Some mould infestations can be caused by leaky piping or damage to the water and drainage systems in your home, so it’s a good idea to have a plumber in regularly to check all the equipment is working properly.
- Above all, the key to preventing a mould or fungus infestation is to maintain a clean and tidy home environment. It can be difficult, but as long as everyone is putting in their fair share, the family home will stay well protected from any gruesome invaders.
Hiring a professional for antifungal treatment and protection
Remember when cleaning your home to be safe and avoid any risks to your health – always use rubber gloves and a face mask when treating mould infected products or areas, so as to avoid any skin irritation or the risk of inhaling any poisonous fibres that could damage your internal systems. If you are making up home solutions be careful not to do anything too drastic or something you’re unsure about – never, for example, mix ammonia solutions with bleach, as the created fumes are toxic to humans. If, on the other hand, you use commercial products, always follow instructions carefully and don’t deviate from their advice – you don’t always know exactly what such specialise cleaning agents might contain.
If you are worried about using such chemicals yourself, hiring a professional cleaner from a mould and fungus treatment facility might prove to be a worthwhile investment. Cleaning a typical home costs around £1000-£2000, depending on the size and extremity of the condition. This may sound like a large sum but leaving the mould to thrive will only devalue property at a more significant rate – so the sooner you can get the job done, the better.